As a transcriber you wear headphones for a large part of your working day. Finding a pair that is affordable, durable, comfortable with good sound quality is important. In this article we’ll discuss and review five pairs of headphones that are well-suited for transcription.
Best Transcription Headsets
The WordSlinger Deluxe is a headset specifically designed for transcribing audio. It comes with on-set audio & volume control, USB input, and a 10 foot cord that provides ease of movement.
- Designed specifically for audio transcription.
- The headphones have a frequency response that dials-in spoken word.
- 10 foot long cord. You can move your head and adjust your position without restriction.
- Has on-set audio and volume controls. These customized controls can really help for transcription files with quiet & distorted audio.
- Headset is high quality and reasonably priced at $44.95
- Since the headset targets the vocal range, this headset would not be ideal for listening to music.
- A 10 foot cord can get tangled up pretty easily. I’ve had the cord get caught under my desk chair plenty of times.
The Spectra USB Transcription Headset by VEC Electronics is immensely popular. It has a USB plug, volume control located on the wire, and a very long 10 foot cord.
- The Spectra headset is affordable with a price ranging from $27 to $30.
- Headset is lightweight and will be comfortable for most users.
- On-set volume controls. This allows you to control the volume directly on the headset.
- This headset, like the WordSlinger Deluxe, has a 10 foot long cord.
- The speakers on this headset are small and inexpensive.
- The audio quality will be inferior to high-end headsets and most traditional over-the-ear headphones.
- Would not be a good headset for listening to music.
Best Wireless Headphones
The Bose QuietComfort 35 Wireless Headphones are arguably the best headphones on the market. The price tag (MSRP of $349.00) is on the higher side, however these headphones are versatile, durable, comfortable, and the sound quality is phenomenal.
- Very comfortable headphones.
- These headphones are well-made and durable.
- Headphones are foldable and come with a carrying case.
- Bose speakers have some of the best audio quality you’ll find in today’s marketplace.
- Very versatile headphones. This is an all-purpose pair of headphones.
- This headset, although lightweight, is on the larger/bulkier side.
Best Transcription Headphones Under $25
The Sennheiser HD 202 headphones are among the best headphones on the market for under $25. They’re very comfortable over-the-ear headphones. Sennheiser’s do a nice job of blocking out exterior noise. These headphones come with a long 10 foot cable. They are a very reliable pair of headphones.
- Very affordable. These headphones range between $24.50 and $30.
- Large headphones and a soft interior.
- These headphones are comfortable to wear for many hours.
- The large speakers provide great quality audio.
- Versatile; these headphones can be used for transcription or music playback.
- Not wireless and no Bluetooth functionality.
- Designed for music playback and deep bass response. For transcription, it’s ideal to have headphones that cater towards the vocal range.
- These headphones are pretty big and bulky and they cannot be folded.
Best Bluetooth Earbuds
The Anlo Bluetooth Headphones are versatile, well-made, and have fantastic audio quality. Reliable Bluetooth headsets often cost between $75 and $150, these headphones are reasonable priced between $35 and $40.
- Well-priced at $35 on Amazon.
- Bluetooth functionality allows for wireless use. No more tangled or ripped cords.
- Very good audio quality.
- These come with a microphone so you can use it as a Bluetooth headset.
- These wraparound your ear and are very comfortable.
- Very versatile. These can be used at home, listening to music on your Smartphone, and at the gym.
- Bluetooth headsets can have occasional issues pairing with PCs.
- Some people do not like wraparound headphones.
- Not as durable as full-sized headphones.
On the Go/Budget Option — Best Earbuds Under $11 Dollars
The Panasonic ErgoFit earbuds are a very good, comfortable, and inexpensive pair of headphones. These headphones will do a great job of blocking out exterior noises. Also, they cost only $10.99.
Panasonic ErgoFit In-Ear Earbud Headphones – Amazon.com
- Very affordable. These can be found for $10.99 a pair on Amazon.
- Lightweight and comfortable.
- Headphones do a good job of blocking out exterior noises.
- Sound quality isn’t as good as their pricier competitors.
- The cord is not as long as other headphones at 3.6 feet long.
- Since these headphones are only $11 they are not as durable as other earbuds.
Which transcription headphones are best for you?
Everybody has different needs. Some people have big ears (like myself) and smaller headsets and earbuds are not comfortable in the long-run. Other people like the convenience of the more compact earbuds. And as always, price is a factor, but the old adage “you get what you pay for” doesn’t necessarily apply to transcription headphones. There are many headsets under $30 that are great for everyday use.
I hope this article was helpful. Let us know if you have any questions. Happy transcribing!
Click here to see our reviews of the best transcription software.